Differences between ONE THREAD mochilas and TWO THREAD mochilas
Wayuu mochilas can be woven with two different techniques; the SINGLE THREAD or the TWO THREAD weave.
Many mochilas are woven with the two thread technique, which is a faster technique producing more bags quickly for sale to the mass market. Two threat mochilas have more stitch joins and are inherently weaker than single thread mochilas.
All of our mochilas are woven with the ONE THREAD technique by wayuu women whom have years of weaving experience. These single thread bags have fewer stitch joins, they are extremely strong and of the highest quality.
OHE THREAD MOCHILAS
- 4 weeks to weave
- The weave is much stronger, lighter and far tighter.
- Single thread mochilas are not commonly available to buy inside or outside Colombia
- Designs are unique
- The mochilas woven with a single thread will last for years as they are durable and washable on soft mode.
- The body and strap joins are tight and strong.
TWO THREADS MOCHILAS
- It takes approximately 7-10 days to weave
- The weave is looser and the straps can be unraveled easily.
- They have more common designs and available to purchase throughout Colombia.
- The technique is not used by the Wayuu, it has evolved to produce bags more quickly and at a lower cost.